|Michael has been practicing architecture in Florida since 1989 and founded Carlson Studio Architecture in 1997. His interest and study of sustainable design principles began in the early ‘80s as an architecture student at Ball State’s College of Architecture & Planning and The Center for Energy Research/Education/Service.
His Sarasota-based firm focuses on high performance design with every project the firm undertakes - from government facilities and educational facilities to residential design, office buildings, non-profit organizations, restaurants, interior tenant build outs and healthcare facilities, as well as religious architecture. Michael is the architect for the HGTV Green Home for 2009. He has completed successful projects throughout Florida and holds the distinction for having a project that was the highest scoring LEED project in the state of Florida from 2005-2009.
He is a founding board member of the USGBC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter and continues as a member of the Board of Directors of the Chapter. In 2009 he established the Sarasota/Manatee Branch of the USGBC Chapter and served as the founding Chairman. Michael serves as Chairman of the Green Business Leadership Council for the Greater Sarasota Area Chamber of Commerce. In 2010 Michael was appointed to the Sarasota Housing Authority Board of Directors.
As, one of the first architects in Florida to achieve the LEED Accredited Professional designation, Michael combines his diverse project experience with an ongoing dedication to quality in the built environment through sustainable design and building practices.
- Bachelor of Architecture, Ball State University 1986
- B.S., Environmental Design, Ball State University 1986
- State of Florida Board of Architecture 1989, License No. AR 12903
- Maryland State Board of Architecture, License No. 0013872
- NCARB Certificate No. 45113
- LEED Accredited Professional, 2003
Memberships and Board Positions
- Sarasota Housing Authority Board of Directors
- Vice Chair 2011-2012
- Development Committee Chair
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Florida Gulf Coast Chapter (1989-present)
- Treasurer, 1997-2004
- Chapter Director 2006-2009
- Chairman, Committee on the Environment
- Florida Green Building Coalition
- US Green Building Council (USGBC)
- Gulf Coast Chapter
- 2011 Chapter President, Founding Board Member 2003
- Myakka River Branch Founder, 2009
- Florida Caribean Region, Vice Chair
- Sarasota Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member 2008-2011
- Green Business Leadership Council
- The Florida Association of Housing & Redevlopment Officals
- Florida Public Transportation Association
- 2009 USGBC, Gulfcoast Chapter "Chapter Leadership Award"
- 2008 biz 941 Best Green Business Award
- 2008 Sustainable Florida Collins Center Best Practice Award Finalist
- 2007 Sarasota Audubon Society Environmental Business Award
- 2007 Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce, Think Green
- 2007 Florida Gulf Coast Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council
- 2003 Sustainable Florida/AIA Award of Merit, Twin Lakes Park Office Complex
- 2002 Florida AIA Award of Excellence, G.Wiz Blivas Science & Technology Center